We hope that all of you are settled into your new apartments and finding nothing but joy with the Grindstone experience! Welcome week was a big hit, and we thank everyone who came out and participated in all of our events. For those who couldn’t make it, don’t worry — we’ll have an event once a week throughout the entire year! Be sure to check the TV slideshow in the clubhouse for upcoming events to plan ahead accordingly with your schedule.
Don’t forget to follow us on social media for quick updates on how to win exclusive giveaways throughout the month, as well as for event reminders so you don’t miss out on the fun!
If you haven’t done so already, stop by the office and pick up your bus pass and parking decal.
Reminders and Updates
Please don’t leave trash out on your porch! You will be charged for doing so. Raccoons and other critters can tear into the bags and leave trash everywhere! A dumpster is located near the clubhouse for your convenience.
Rent is due on the 1st of the month, and late fees will be applied on the 3rd at 10 a.m. when our office opens. Please call us if you have any questions on how to set up recurring payments on your portal.
Please help us keep our community beautiful by picking up your dog’s waste and placing it in the proper stations located throughout the community. Failure to do so will result in a fine. We also have our very own Grindstone Canyon waste bags in the clubhouse, so don’t hesitate to stop by and ask us to get you one for your furry friend(s), because who’s more pet friendly than Grindstone?
Perhaps one of the greatest advantages of living in a Campus Advantage community is the opportunity to live and work closely with all types of people. We know that living with roommates isn’t always easy, whether you moved in with friends or were matched up with new people. Either way, it’s perfectly normal to have the occasional roommate conflict, and there’s actually a lot to be gained from handling a difficult situation maturely and respectfully.
We want to make sure you have the tools to handle these situations should they arise, so check out the tips below to ensure you and your roommates have the best living experience possible this year:
- Schedule a roommate meeting: Set up a time for all roommates to get together and have a proactive conversation about each person’s preferences and expectations when it comes to cleanliness, guests, sleeping/study times, the use of others belongings or food, etc.
- Be open minded: You and your roommates may be very different, and that’s OK! Stay open minded and positive about your roommates’ views and experiences, and you may end up learning a lot about them and yourself in the process.
- Give each other space: Even though your apartment is made for multiple people, everyone appreciates having space to themselves once in a while. Make sure you are sharing time in common areas and respecting each other’s privacy.
- When in doubt, talk it out: Most problems can be solved by just talking through the issue before it gets out of hand. If something is seriously bugging you about one of your roommates, bring it to them in a mature one-on-one conversation before bringing in other roommates or escalating the situation. Passive-aggressive behaviors won’t help.
- Divide responsibilities: While every roommate should commit to cleaning up after themselves, determine the best way to divide other responsibilities, such as taking out the trash, vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, etc., to ensure everyone plays their part.
- Use conflict resolution backup: While talking can usually fix an issue in its early stages, sometimes a more structured approach is necessary. If you’ve tried and feel your efforts aren’t helping resolve an issue between roommates, reach out to your Community Assistant or the management team to help you brainstorm options. The management team is trained and willing to help conduct a roommate mediation process, if necessary, but is also happy to provide you with tips and tools to handle it yourself.
We want you to have a successful living experience while at our community, but we know that living with roommates can mean an occasional difference of opinion. When roommates decide to communicate their expectations, listen and try to understand each other, and care about each other’s well-being — the many great memories you make will outweigh any small conflict you may have.
Community Events Calendar
Friday Smoothies — Friday, September 20 from 2–4 p.m. — Fall is just around the corner, so we’ll be catering smoothies from Tropical Cafe in honor of the final week of summer! Stop by the clubhouse, grab a smoothie, and socialize with your neighbors!
Trivia Night — Friday, September 27 from 5:30–6:30 p.m. — We’ll be hosting a trivia night in the clubhouse. Teams of 1–3, and only 1 person of each team needs to be a Grindstone resident, so invite your friends! The winning team (highest score) will receive a gift card!